Chapter 8.20


8.20.010    Obstructing streets and sidewalks.

8.20.020    Abatement by city.

8.20.030    Repealed.

8.20.010 Obstructing streets and sidewalks.

Trees, plants, shrubs or vegetation or parts thereof which so overhang any sidewalk or street, or which are growing thereon in such manner as to obstruct or impair the free and full use of the sidewalk or street by the public are public nuisances. Grass, weeds, shrubs, bushes, trees or vegetation growing or which have grown and died, and all debris upon any property and which are a fire hazard or menace to public health, safety or welfare, are likewise public nuisances. It is the duty of the owner of the property upon which any such nuisances exist to abate the nuisance by destroying, removing or trimming any such growth, and removing any such debris. For the purpose of this chapter, the owner of property abutting upon a dedicated street or sidewalk shall be deemed the owner of that portion of such street or sidewalk to which he holds the ultimate title, even though subject to the easement and rights of the city under the dedication; provided, that this chapter shall not be construed so as to require a private property owner to abate any such nuisance which exists because of natural vegetation growing wholly within the limits of the right-of-way of any dedicated street or sidewalk. (Ord. 447 § 1, 1982)

8.20.020 Abatement by city.

The city may initiate the process requiring an abutting property owner to remove the nuisance described in CHMC 8.20.010 as follows:

A. A resolution of the city council shall be adopted which shall describe the property involved and the hazardous condition, and require the owner to make such removal or destruction after not less than five days’ notice to the abutting property owner.

B. If any nuisance as defined by this chapter is not abated by removal or destruction by the property owner upon reasonable notice, the city may abate the same and shall render a bill covering the city’s cost of such abatement, and mail the bill to the property owner. If the property owner fails or refuses to pay the bill immediately, or if no bill is rendered because the property owner cannot be found, the clerk for the city in the name of the city may file a lien therefor against the property with the King County office of records and elections, which lien shall be in substantially the same form, filed with the same officer and within the same time and manner and enforced and foreclosed as is provided by law for labor and materials liens. (Ord. 730 § 1, 1995; Ord. 447 § 3, 1982)

8.20.030 Violation – Penalty.

Repealed by Ord. 730. (Ord. 447 § 2, 1982)