Chapter 3.12


3.12.010    Billings and claims fund.

3.12.020    Utility deposit refund fund.

3.12.030    Energy conservation fund.

3.12.040    Petty cash and change funds.

*For statutory provisions authorizing the creation of a claim fund, see RCW 35.21.085; for provisions on funds generally, see RCW 35.37.010.

3.12.010 Billings and claims fund.

A. A sum shall be transferred to a special fund to be designated as the “town billing and claims fund,” similar in form and purpose to the payroll fund previously established by ordinance of the town, to avoid the duplication of checks issued by the town to various suppliers and claimants against the town from various departments of the town.

B. Each month the town treasurer shall transfer to the town billings and claims fund an amount equal to the various billings and claims approved by the council against each of the various departments and funds of the town.

C. The town clerk and the mayor shall issue one check for the sum of all approved billings or claims.

D. In order to avoid confusion in the keeping of town records and audits, the new procedure for the payment of various billings and claims from the town billing and claims fund shall become effective as of January 1, 1975. (Ord. 74-8 §§ 1 – 4, 1974).

3.12.020 Utility deposit refund fund.

A. There is established a special utility deposit refund fund to be used for the deposit of all utility deposits received by the town clerk from users of public utilities and used by the town clerk for the payment of any credits remaining due from such deposits at the termination of the use of utilities by various users.

B. The treasurer is directed to transfer the sum of $400.00 from the light department funds to the special utility deposit refund fund.

C. Effective the first day of January, 1975, all utility deposits received by the town clerk from customers of the utilities of the town shall henceforth be deposited in the special utilities deposit refund fund.

D. After the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section, the clerk shall be and is authorized to make utility deposit refunds directly to utility customers of the town who are entitled to refunds upon termination of utility services without the delay of having to send a voucher to the town treasurer for approval. (Ord. 74-9 §§ 1 – 4, 1974).

3.12.030 Energy conservation fund.

The energy conservation fund is established and energy conservation money shall be placed therein and all necessary disbursements made therefrom in the manner provided by law and shall be specifically restricted to the purposes for which such moneys are paid and held by the town. (Ord. 85-2 § 2, 1985).

3.12.040 Petty cash and change funds.

A. Established. There is hereby established a petty cash fund and a change fund. The petty cash fund is established for the purpose of making minor authorized disbursements and shall be funded in the sum of $400.00. The change fund is established for the purpose of making change and shall always have $100.00 in small bills and change and will not be used for any other purpose. The town clerk shall be the custodian of the petty cash and change funds and shall be responsible for all accounting thereof.

B. Appropriation of Funds. The sum of $400.00 is appropriated from the current expense fund, for the petty cash fund, and $100.00 for the change fund. The town clerk, or his/her designee, is authorized to make change from the change fund and at all times the balance of the change fund must remain at $100.00.

C. Disbursements. Minor sums may be withdrawn from the petty cash fund for payment or reimbursement upon proper receipts and in accordance with state law and regulations set forth by the office of State Auditor of legitimate town obligations. The town council in accordance with usual policy and procedures shall replenish the petty cash fund upon approval of vouchers. The mayor or town clerk shall have authority to authorize said disbursements. (Ord. 99-04 §§ 1, 2, 3, 1999).