Division I. Water

Chapter 14.04


14.04.010    Rules established.

14.04.020    Definitions.

14.04.030    Use restrictions generally.

14.04.040    Application required.

14.04.050    Deposit requirements.

14.04.060    Water main extensions.

14.04.070    Service connections – Installation and maintenance.

14.04.080    Service connections – Chances authorized when.

14.04.090    Service connections – Fees.

14.04.100    Waiver of connection fees.

14.04.120    Out-of-city service – Charges.

14.04.130    Special or emergency service – Fees.

14.04.140    Temporary and miscellaneous uses.

14.04.150    Water meters – Installation.

14.04.160    Water meters – Reading periods – Billing procedures.

14.04.170    Water usage – Rates.

14.04.180    Volume demand fees.

14.04.185    Utility charge reductions for low-income elderly.

14.04.190    Water meters – Average or estimated charges.

14.04.200    Water meters – Service discontinuance – Shutoff and removal charges.

14.04.210    Water meters – Testing.

14.04.230    Advance payments.

14.04.240    Remission of rates – Conditions.

14.04.245    Partial payment of utility billing.

14.04.250    Local comprehensive plans.

14.04.260    City engineer discretionary authority.

14.04.270    Cross-connection control.

14.04.275    Cross-connection control program.

14.04.280    Connections by licensed plumbers.

14.04.290    Use restrictions – During fires.

14.04.300    Use restrictions – Water shortages.

14.04.310    Interruptions of service.

14.04.320    Insufficient water supply – Liability.

14.04.330    Access to buildings and equipment authorized when.

14.04.340    Enforcement – City employee duties.

14.04.350    Unlawful acts designated.

14.04.360    Penalty.

14.04.010 Rules established.

The definitions, rates, rules and regulations as set forth in this chapter are established for the management of the municipal water supply system of the city. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.010)

14.04.020 Definitions.

In construing the provisions of this chapter, save when otherwise declared or clearly apparent from the context, the following definitions shall be applied:

A. “Backflow” means the flow other than the intended direction of flow, of any foreign liquids, gases or substances into the distribution system of the public drinking water system.

B. “Commercial accounts” means duplex, triplex, fourplex, apartment housing and all customers engaged in the purchase or sale of commodities or in related financial transactions, the exchange and transportation of commodities, schools, churches and trailer parks.

C. “Connection fee” means that amount charged to a customer when the service connection is made to a city water main, the laying of pipe to within the curb or property line, and the connection of a water meter. This fee depends upon the size of the service installed, as shown in RMC 14.04.090.

D. “Contamination” means the entry into, or the presence in, the public drinking water system of any substance or matter when present in drinking water above an acceptable level may adversely affect the health of the consumer and/or the aesthetic qualities of the water consumed.

E. “Cross-connection” means any physical arrangement connecting a public drinking water system, directly or indirectly, with anything other than another public drinking water system, capable of contaminating the public drinking water system as a result of backflow.

F. “Customer” means any person, firm or corporation that is furnished drinking water through a legal service connection to the drinking water system.

G. “Department” means the Washington State Department of Health.

H. “Fire line fee” means that amount charged monthly to customers who solely benefit from a fire line main being provided for their fire protection. The amount of this fee is dependent upon the size of the main provided, and is established as being a charge of $3.00 per inch of water main per month. This fee will be assessed in addition to and regardless of the amount of water used by the customer concerned. Fire lines may not be used for water supply except for the fighting of fires unless the city engineer grants approval.

I. “Flat rate fee” means that minimum amount charged bimonthly to customers using city water. The flat rate is inclusive of the first 6,000 gallons of water used.

J. “Illegal user” means any person, firm or corporation that is not authorized by the purveyor to use a customer’s service.

K. “Industrial accounts” means producing or production of commodities by manufacturing or processing such as: fish processing, lumber mills, shake mills and concrete bulk plants.

L. “Out-of-city fee” means that amount charged to customers who are connected to the city’s water main distribution system and whose water meter location is outside the established city limits. This fee will be assessed in addition and regardless of the amount of water used.

M. “Water usage fee” means that amount charged customers for the actual amount of water consumed as indicated by actual water meter readings. The rate charged shall be based on the metered water volume in accordance with RMC 14.04.170.

N. “Volume demand fee” means that amount charged monthly or bimonthly to customers who have a one-inch or larger water meter installed for their use and therefore have available to them a potentially greater supply of water if needed. This fee will be assessed in addition to and regardless of the amount of water used by the customer concerned. The amount of this fee is dependent on the size of the water meter utilized, and is as indicated in RMC 14.04.180.

O. An “out-of-city” customer or user is defined as that customer whose water meter is located outside the corporate limits of the city.

P. “Public drinking water system” means any water system or supply intended or used for human consumption or other domestic uses; including sources, treatment, storage, transmission and distribution facilities where water is furnished to any community, collection or number of individuals; however, excluding a system serving one single-family residence.

Q. “Pump fee” means that amount charged to customers whose waterline pressure is maintained by the use of a booster pump installed as a part of the city’s water distribution system.

R. “Purveyor” means the city of Raymond, or its authorized agent.

S. “Residential accounts” means a single-family residence or duplex with separate meters billed on a bimonthly basis.

T. “Service” means a physical connection between the public drinking water system and the customer’s system. (Ord. 1714 § 8, 2006; Ord. 1576, 1997; Ord. 1510 § 1, 1991; Ord. 1477 § 1, 1990; Ord. 1443 § 1, 1987; Ord. 1385 § 1, 1983; Ord. 1367 § 1, 1982; 1958 code § 10.04.020)

14.04.030 Use restrictions generally.

No person or premises supplied with municipal water from the city will be permitted to use this water for any other purposes than those stated in the application, or to supply this water in any way to other persons, families or premises not provided for in the application. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.040)

14.04.040 Application required.

All potential uses of city municipal water must make application for the use of this water in the office of the water department on forms provided for that purpose. At the time of filing the application, all fees and deposits required for the service connection or water turn-on will be paid to the city water department. If the service installation requires a main extension, roadway restoration or in excess of 40 feet of service line, these additional costs will be charged to the user in accordance with RMC 14.04.090, Service connections – Fees. The city will notify the applicant of the estimated cost of the required work to provide water service. Prior to undertaking said work, the user must authorize the city to proceed under the terms set forth by the city engineer. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.030)

14.04.050 Deposit requirements.

A. Tenants of residential, commercial, and industrial rental properties applying for city water, sewer, and refuse collection services shall be required to make an initial deposit of $300.00. The deposit may be made in two monthly installments of $150.00 each. Upon written consent of the property owner, the deposit may be waived. The acceptance of a cash deposit by the city shall not constitute a waiver of, or be a bar to the enforcement of, the city’s lien rights granted by existing laws of the state or any amendment or any law hereinafter enacted.

B. At the termination of service, if the closing bill or balances are not paid in full, the utilities clerk shall have the authority to apply all or as much of the deposit as may be necessary to pay the unpaid bill and balances. Any remaining deposit shall be refunded to whoever made the deposit. (Ord. 1816 § 1, 2013)

14.04.060 Water main extensions.

All water main extensions shall be in accordance with the “City of Raymond Conditions and Standards for Extensions to the City Water System.” Upon request for water service to properties within the city water service area, the city engineer will inform the property owner or owner’s representative of water service availability. If service requires a water main extension, the extension may be completed by the city or by a contractor approved by the city. The costs of the extension will be the responsibility of the property owner requesting service. The service connection fee will be in addition to the costs related to the water main extension. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.050)

14.04.070 Service connections – Installation and maintenance.

After the application for service connection has been made and approved and all fees and deposits paid, the city water department will make a service connection from the nearest city water main to a point within the curb or property line, complete with curb cock and/or meter. This service connection shall thereafter be maintained by and kept within the exclusive control of the city. The connection of new service lines or the connection of any service line replaced by the customer to the city’s meter or curb cocks must be made with a union. All service pipe and connections from the city’s curb cocks or meters to the premises shall be installed and maintained by the owner or agent of the property served. Any leak or waste of water between the curb cock or meter and the premises served will be charged for at the rate provided for in this chapter, and the customer is responsible for all leaks or damages on account of leaks from the service leading from the city’s curb cock or meter to the premises served. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.060)

14.04.080 Service connections – Chances authorized when.

A. When a new building is erected on the site of an old structure which was previously served by city water, the city engineer may approve the use of the existing water tap and reduce the cost of the connection fee accordingly.

B. When a service connection to any premises is no longer used, the water department may disconnect and/or remove such service connections, after which, should a new service connection be required for the premises, a new service connection shall be installed upon the owner making proper application and paying the charges for a new service connection.

C. When a service connection to any premises does not come from a water main laid on an adjoining street or alley, the water department may, when a water main is laid in the adjoining street or alley, after notifying the owner or occupant thereof, install a new service connection to the new main without charge to the user and, at the same time, disconnect and remove the old service connections. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.250)

14.04.090 Service connections – Fees.

A. The applicant shall be charged $3,500 for a service connection of one inch and below in size. Connection fee includes a capital investment recovery of $2,500 and installation charge of $1,000 (for meters one inch and below in size). All such charges are to be paid in advance at the time the application for service connection is made. Connections will not be made by city personnel until the fee is paid. This fee includes the tapping of the city water distribution line and the installation of up to 40 feet of service line and the water meter. Additional work required to install a water service, including but not limited to water main extensions, service lines in excess of 40 feet, and surface restoration, shall be billed to the property owner at the actual cost plus 25 percent. At the discretion of the city engineer, the property owner may be required to contract with a licensed contractor approved by the city to complete the necessary main extension in accordance with RMC 14.04.060, Water main extensions.

B. For meters larger than one inch, the connection charge will be based on the actual cost of installation, plus a 25 percent overhead cost of not less than a total of $1,500, plus the capital investment recovery charge of $2,500 for a minimum total of $4,000. A service connection fee based on the city engineer’s estimate of the total cost will be paid before the service connection is completed. The city engineer shall determine the actual cost upon completion.

C. Any excess cost over the amount deposited shall be charged against the customer’s water account. Any unexpended portion of the deposit shall be credited to the customer’s water account.

D. The capital investment recovery fee of the connection charge shall apply to additional water connections that are connected directly to a customer owned water line. (Ord. 1836 § 1, 2015)

14.04.100 Waiver of connection fees.

A. The city clerk/treasurer, on receipt of information satisfactory to him or her that the applicant meets the following qualifications:

1. The construction is a single-family dwelling unit; and

2. The applicant is a nonprofit entity; and

3. The construction is to be used solely for low-income housing;

may waive one-half of the connection fee for water or sewer.

B. “Low income” means low income as defined in Chapter 43.185A RCW, Affordable Housing Program, as it now exists or is hereafter amended. (Ord. 1596, 1998)

14.04.120 Out-of-city service – Charges.

The city council may, by resolution, establish or modify rates or connection fees for the use of city water outside the corporate limits of the city other than those set forth in this chapter. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.350)

14.04.130 Special or emergency service – Fees.

A. Whenever a request is made of the water department by a customer for an emergency turn-off, turn-on or temporary discontinuance of water to any premises for any reason, which necessitates immediate action, the service requested shall be classified as special service, and the following charges made therefor:

1. Reoccurring breaks during regular work hours, $35.00;

2. Emergency turn-off or turn-on service outside regular working hours, $135.00.

B. Reoccurring breaks at a customer’s premises during regular working hours requiring a turn-off and turn-on will be charged $35.00.

C. Whenever the department responds to a customer’s request outside regular working hours for assistance to correct a deficiency in water service to a premises, and it is determined that the deficiency is the result of improper operation or maintenance of the customer’s plumbing, a charge of $135.00 will be levied.

D. For the purpose of this section, only a single “call out” will be charged if the turn-off and turn-on is completed within 45 minutes during normal working hours and two hours outside normal working hours.

E. Fees charged under this section will be added to and shown separately on the utility billing and will become due as provided for normal water service charges. (Ord. 1836 § 1, 2015)

14.04.140 Temporary and miscellaneous uses.

Charges for the use of water from the city’s water mains for construction purposes, circuses, carnivals, or for any other purpose temporary in nature and not requiring a permanent service connection, shall be as determined by the city engineer. All users of such water will make application in the water department office and must receive approval by the city engineer prior to actual use of the water. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.170)

14.04.150 Water meters – Installation.

A. The city reserves the right and has the authority to place a water meter on any or all service connections or water services. All water meters shall remain the property of the city, and may be installed or removed by the water department in conformity to the rules and regulations provided in this chapter. No meter shall be removed, modified, or in any way disturbed except by an authorized agent or authorized employee of the city.

B. In cases where, due to land-filling operations, or the lowering or raising of the level of the existing property, it is necessary to raise the curb cock, service connection or water meter, the property owner or occupant shall notify the city water department at least 10 days in advance of the filling, raising or lowering operation, in order that the water department may make the necessary adjustments in the service connections. All such adjustments of service connections shall be made by water department personnel. The property owner or occupant shall be charged for the actual cost incurred by the water department in adjusting the service connection. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.110)

14.04.160 Water meters – Reading periods – Billing procedures.

A. Meters shall be read monthly. The users of such metered services shall be charged and billed for the water consumed according to the difference between the current reading and the previous reading.

B. All bills shall be due and payable from the date of billing and shall become delinquent 20 days from the date of billing. A delinquency charge of $6.00 to cover costs of collection shall be added to all accounts that have been delinquent in an amount equal to or greater than $10.00.

Only one $6.00 delinquency charge shall be assessed in any billing period for water, sewer and sanitation bills. The charge shall be divided equally between the water, sewer and sanitation funds when paid. Services may be suspended for nonpayment of such charges.

C. Any payment made for charges and fees established by any portion of this chapter that is returned for lack of sufficient funds or for any other reason will not be considered received until payment by certified check, money order or cash of the original amount due, plus a nonsufficient funds (NSF) charge of $25.00, is received by the city. Services may be suspended for nonpayment of such charges.

D. All established properties having a water service account with the city of Raymond will pay 50 percent of the monthly minimum service charge regardless whether the water service is active or not. A water service account is considered to be a service lateral with a meter setter. (Ord. 1869 § 3, 2017; Ord. 1851 § 1, 2016; Ord. 1844 § 4, 2015)

14.04.170 Water usage – Rates.

A. The reading of water meters for all accounts shall be monthly. In addition to the base rate, a pumping fee will be charged to customers whose water line pressure is maintained by the use of a booster pump within the city’s water distribution system. The rates for all accounts for water used according to such meters shall be as follows:

Beginning with the January 2018 monthly billing the monthly pumping fee shall be $2.10 and the base rate shall be $52.00 for the first 3,000 gallons. The consumption rate per each additional 1,000 gallons of use shall be as follows:



Next 7,000 gallons


Next 10,000 gallons


Next 20,000 gallons


Next 30,000 gallons


Next 430,000 gallons


Next 500,000 gallons


B. An out-of-city fee of $27.00 shall be charged to customers who are connected to the city’s water system and whose meter is outside the city limits. This fee shall be charged in addition to and regardless of the amount of water consumed.

C. A 10 percent reduction of total charges shall be applied to all water accounts that are in the name of and billed to any department of the city of Raymond. (Ord. 1869 § 4, 2017; Ord. 1851 § 2, 2016; Ord. 1844 § 5, 2015; Ord. 1836 § 1, 2015)

14.04.180 Volume demand fees.

The volume demand fee shall be charged for all meters used which are larger than three-fourths inch. This fee shall be charged in addition to and regardless of the amount of water consumed. Effective January 15, 2008, the volume demand fees shall be as follows:

Meter Size
















(Ord. 1733 § 3, 2007)

14.04.185 Utility charge reductions for low- income elderly.

A. Low-Income Elderly Defined. To qualify for the low-income elderly reduced rate for water, the person(s) must meet the following conditions:

1. Be the owner or renter of a single-family residence, within the city limits; and

2. Be at least 62 years of age at the time of filing their reduced rate application; or

3. Be at least 55 years of age and disabled; and

4. Have the water account in the owner/occupant’s name; and

5. Have an income in the calendar year preceding the year in which the application for a reduced rate is made no greater than the income level “low 50 percent” as established on the annual CDBG Income Limits Chart for Pacific County released by the Washington State Department of Commerce.

6. Special financial hardship circumstances will be open for review in the event the gross income exceeds the amounts listed in subsection (A)(5) of this section.

B. Income Defined. “Income” as used is defined as the combined income from all sources whatsoever, including but not limited to all the moneys received by the applicant and spouse from Social Security, any retirement or pension plan, any annuity, any disability, any gift, any inheritance, any rental properties and all investment income in any form, including but not limited to dividends from stocks or bonds and all interest from savings accounts, bank certificates of deposit and all accounts receivable.

C. Reduced Rate Schedule. For all qualifying low-income elderly and disabled persons, as hereinafter defined, the residential water rate shall be 50 percent of the rate in RMC 14.04.170 as now established or hereafter amended. This reduced rate shall only apply to water usage that is below the appropriate minimum quantities. For water usage that exceeds these minimum monthly quantities, the rates established in RMC 14.04.170 as now or hereafter amended shall apply.

D. Applications for Reduced Rate. To obtain the reduced rate provided for in this chapter, the low-income elderly person must each year make application with the city clerk/treasurer certifying that he or she meets all the qualifications as established. The city clerk/treasurer may require the applicant to provide as part of the application copies of previous years’ income tax returns and/or signed affidavits. The city clerk/treasurer shall make determination of eligibility.

E. False Representations. Any person making false representations in order to secure the reduced rate provided for under this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor. (Ord. 1824 §§ 1, 2, 2014; Ord. 1719 § 1, 2007)

14.04.190 Water meters – Average or estimated charges.

When a water meter has ceased to register since the previous reading, due to a mechanical breakdown, or when it is impossible to read a meter that is buried in debris or by any other reason is unreadable, or when it is necessary during a meter billing period to remove a meter either temporarily or permanently for unforeseen reasons, or any other condition which would prevent a measurement of the water used by any premises during any billing period, the water department is authorized to average the charges of such users for the previous available billing periods, and to charge such average amount for the following billing periods during the continuance of the conditions listed above. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.210)

14.04.200 Water meters – Service discontinuance – Shutoff and removal charges.

A. Water services to users, owners, tenants under lease or renters whose water accounts have become delinquent may be shut off and the water meter removed without further notice, at the option of the city engineer. In such event, the water will not be turned on until payment or satisfactory arrangements for payment have been made. Charges shall be as follows:

1. Additional Charges – Meter Shutoff.

a. There shall be an extra charge of $35.00 for a turn-off.

b. There shall be an extra charge of $35.00 for a turn-on.

2. Additional Charges – Meter Removal.

a. There shall be an extra charge of $100.00 for meter removal.

b. There shall be an extra charge of $100.00 for meter replacement.

B. All unpaid water bills and penalties will be charged against the premises for which the service was installed and all charges for water, when the same become delinquent and unpaid, together with penalties imposed, shall be a lien against the property to which the water was furnished. In case any charge for water becomes a lien against any property, the water shall be shut off until such charges are paid by the owner, tenant under lease, or renter. No change of ownership or occupation shall affect the application of this section. (Ord. 1836 § 1, 2015)

14.04.210 Water meters – Testing.

Should any municipal water consumer or customer request that a water meter be tested for accuracy, written application for such a test shall be made to the city water department. Upon completion of the test, should the results show an error of over five percent in favor of the water department, a correct registering water meter will be installed and the water bill will be adjusted accordingly. If the test of any water meter should show not in excess of five percent error in the measurement of water, all costs in connection with removal, testing and replacement of the meter in question shall be paid by the consumer or customer making the application for the test. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.120)

14.04.230 Advance payments.

Advance payments by any water user on water accounts will be acceptable at all times. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.220)

14.04.240 Remission of rates – Conditions.

In the event of excess water usage due to leaks on any water lines and/or connections that are the responsibility of the water user, the city shall charge the water user for one-half of the excess water. The amount of excess water consumed shall be calculated by subtracting the average consumption of the two immediately past reading periods from the consumption in the water reading with excess usage.

If excess water usage is more than 300 percent of the average consumption, the city shall consider the leak to be catastrophic and shall not charge for the overage above the 300 percent level. If excess water usage continues during the next reading period, the water user will be required to pay the full charge for the excess water consumed and may be required to repair the leak or leaks responsible for the excess water consumption in order to continue consuming city of Raymond water. (Ord. 1834 § 1, 2015)

14.04.245 Partial payment of utility billing.

The city shall charge for garbage, sewer and water service in a single, itemized utility bill. Billings shall be bimonthly. Whenever any partial payment of a utility billing is received, the amount paid shall be credited to the outstanding charges in the following order:

A. Taxes or special charges;

B. Garbage;

C. Sewer;

D. Water. (Ord. 1576, 1997; Ord. 1457 § 1, 1988)

14.04.250 Local comprehensive plans.

The city council may, at its discretion, order the extension, modification or removal of any part or portion of the city water supply system or water distribution system by the local improvement plan, as provided by law, and the water department may pay any or all costs for such improvement, whatever part is equitable as determined by the city council. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.100)

14.04.260 City engineer discretionary authority.

In all cases where this chapter vests any discretion in the city engineer, such discretion shall be subject to the control of the city council. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.320)

14.04.270 Cross-connection control.

The purpose of this section is to protect the water supply of the city of Raymond from contamination or pollution from potential cross-connections; promote the elimination or control of existing or potential cross-connections; and assure that approved backflow devices are tested annually. The installation or maintenance of any actual or potential cross-connection which would endanger the purveyor’s public drinking water system is prohibited. Any such cross-connection now existing is hereby declared unlawful and shall be removed immediately or face penalty. Water service to any premises shall be contingent upon the customer providing cross-connection control in a manner approved by the purveyor. The control or elimination of cross-connections shall be in accordance with WAC 246-290-490, or any superseding WAC. The policies, procedures and criteria for determining appropriate levels of protection shall be in accordance with the “Accepted Procedure and Practice in Cross Connection Control Manual Pacific Northwest Section: American Waterworks Association, Fifth Edition,” or any superseding editions, however, the purveyor may establish requirements for cross-connection control more stringent than the state regulations if it is determined that conditions so dictate. It shall be the responsibility of the city to protect the public drinking water system from contamination due to cross-connection. Controlling and preventing cross-connection is accomplished by either removing the cross-connection or installing an approved backflow prevention assembly to protect the public water supply. Backflow devices required to be installed shall be of the type approved by the State Department of Health. Authorized employees of the city, with proper identification, shall have free access at reasonable hours of the day to all parts of a premises or within building to which water is supplied. The owner of the property in which a cross-connection occurs is fully responsible for all damages incurred. (Ord. 1576, 1997; Ord. 1510 § 2, 1991)

14.04.275 Cross-connection control program.

A. The permitting, regulation and elimination of cross-connections shall be in accordance with the city of Raymond’s cross-connection control (CCC) program dated September 8, 2009, as it currently exists or is hereafter amended.

B. The installation or maintenance of a cross-connection or possible cross-connection which would endanger the water quality of the potable water system of the city is prohibited. Any such cross-connection now existing is a nuisance and shall be abated immediately in accordance with the city of Raymond’s CCC program.

C. Services from the city’s water system to any premises upon which a private water supply system is used or operated contrary to the provisions of the city of Raymond CCC program may be discontinued or refused.

D. Furnishing of services shall be contingent upon the customer complying with the provisions of the city of Raymond’s CCC program, including providing cross-connection control if required for the protection of the city water system from backflow. (Ord. 1758 § 1, 2009)

14.04.280 Connections by licensed plumbers.

All piping connections with the city’s water services, stop cocks or meters shall be made by licensed plumbers. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.300)

14.04.290 Use restrictions – During fires.

No person or user of city water shall use any water for irrigation or sprinkling during the progress of any fire in the city, and all irrigation and sprinkling shall be stopped immediately when an alarm is sounded in any part of the city, and shall not be resumed until the fire has been extinguished. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.280)

14.04.300 Use restrictions – Water shortages.

The city reserves the right, in the case of a shortage of water, to issue any order deemed necessary suspending the use of the city’s water for irrigating or sprinkling purposes. The city engineer is authorized and empowered to issue such order, and shall give notice of the same through the local newspaper. Any person violating any such order shall be subject to a fine of $25.00 for the first offense and $50.00 for each subsequent offense, which shall be charged against the person and premises supplied, and the water shall be shut off to such premises until such fine has been paid. (Ord. 1714 § 7, 2006)

14.04.310 Interruptions of service.

The water supply may at any time be shut off without notice, for the purpose of making repairs, extensions, or any other necessary work. The city shall not be responsible for the safety of boilers, hot-water heaters, or any other equipment on the premises of any water consumer, nor will the city be responsible on account of the interruption in operating pressure or water supply in the operation of hydraulically operated machines or cooling devices due to suspension of water service. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.260)

14.04.320 Insufficient water supply – Liability.

The city shall not be responsible for any damages to property caused by fire on account of insufficient water supply or pressure, or from any other cause attributed to insufficient water supply or pressure. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.310)

14.04.330 Access to buildings and equipment authorized when.

Employees of the city water department, properly identified, shall have full access at proper hours of the day and during emergencies at night to all parts of buildings to which city water is connected from the city water mains, in the performance of their official duties. The water department employees shall have free access to stop cocks and meters in cases where they are located within the property lines of the premises served. The piling of rubbish, wood or building materials on or over water meter boxes or stop cocks is prohibited. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.290)

14.04.340 Enforcement – City employee duties.

It shall be the duty of employees of the city, and particularly those of the police and fire departments, to give vigilant aid to the water department in the enforcement of its rules and regulations, and to this end they shall report all violations thereof which come to their knowledge to the office of the water department. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.330)

14.04.350 Unlawful acts designated.

The following acts are prohibited:

A. To turn on the water or cause it to be turned on after it has been shut off by the city water department without proper authority. The only personnel authorized to turn on or shut off a service connection are employees of the city water department;

B. To open, close, turn or interfere with, or attach to or connect with any fire hydrant, stop valve, stop cock, or water meter belonging to the water department unless authorized to do so by the city engineer; provided, that this rule shall not apply to members of the city fire department in performing their official duties;

C. To throw any substance into any city reservoir or to deposit any substance, waste or offal in or near any of the streams of water from which the city draws its water supply;

D. To place any substance upon the grounds of the city water department or the watershed area of the city water supply as may be under its control, or do any other act which may tend to pollute the water supply;

E. To pump city water direct from the city water mains by any direct connection therewith without permission. (Ord. 1576, 1997; 1958 code § 10.04.340)

14.04.360 Penalty.

Service to any premises receiving its water from the purveyor’s public drinking water system shall be contingent upon compliance with all rules and regulations of the department and the purveyor. Service shall be discontinued to any premises for failure to comply with the rules and regulations of the department and this purveyor. The penalties provided shall not be exclusive and the city may exercise any other legal or equitable remedy provided by law. (Ord. 1576, 1997; Ord. 1510 § 3, 1991)