Chapter 15.32


15.32.010    License required.

15.32.020    General liability policy – Filing required.

15.32.030    Requirements generally.

15.32.010 License required.

No person or persons shall undertake to move any building on the city streets without first taking out a housemover’s license, issued by the city clerk on application therefor, and the fee for which license shall be $50.00 per year; the license shall not be transferable, and shall entitle the holder to engage in the general housemoving business in the city, on filing a general liability policy, as hereinafter provided, and upon compliance with all other provisions of this chapter. (Ord. 1368 § 1, 1999; Ord. 664 § 1, 1978; Ord. 242 § 5, 1958)

15.32.020 General liability policy – Filing required.

It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to undertake to move any building, or part thereof, on the streets or alleys of the city unless and until he or it shall have first filed a general liability policy, with the city as an indorsee, in the amount of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident, with the city clerk of the city, to be approved by the building inspector as to form indemnifying the city against any and all damages to the streets, sidewalks, gutters, and other city property, and against any and all damages and claims for damages arising directly or indirectly as the result of the alleged carelessness or negligence of any person, firm or corporation moving the building, his or its employees; providing, however, that any contractor, or any person, firm or corporation, having procured a housemover’s license as herein provided, may file a general liability policy to cover any and all jobs of housemoving over which he or it shall have supervision, and indemnifying the city as hereinbefore set forth, which policy shall be good for the period of the license, and not exceeding the calendar year for which each calendar year license is issued, and in the event such general liability policy is on file, such housemover shall not be required to file any other or further liability policy unless a claim has been filed, or suit instituted against the city as a result of the alleged negligence or carelessness of such housemover, in which event, such housemover shall be required to file an additional liability policy in the sum of $5,000 over and above the amount of any and all claims filed, or legal actions instituted against the city on account of alleged negligence of such housemover, his or its agents or employees. Any claim by the city may be made by notifying the housemover and insurance company and shall be paid promptly on due proof being presented of the damage to the streets, sidewalks, gutters, and any and all other city property. (Ord. 1368 § 1, 1999; Ord. 664 § 2, 1978; Ord. 297 § 1, 1963; Ord. 242 § 6, 1958)

15.32.030 Requirements generally.

All buildings to be moved pursuant to the provisions of this chapter in the city shall be moved at such times as will least inconvenience the general public. The time of move shall be coordinated by the building official. All buildings so moved shall be moved in a careful and prudent manner and all blocks, tackles, cable, rollers and other paraphernalia used for moving shall be so used and guarded so as not to injure persons or property, and all streets, sidewalks, water mains and other city property shall be left in as good condition as prior to such moving. It is the duty of the housemover to leave the streets clear of all rubbish or material used for or caused by such housemoving; also, the housemover shall comply with all existing ordinances and state and federal laws relating to or covering the removal of telephone and telegraph wires and electric wires when the removal is made necessary for the moving of any building upon any street or alley. (Ord. 1368 § 1, 1999; Ord. 667 § 1, 1978; Ord. 242 § 7, 1958)