Chapter 17.20


17.20.010    Intent.

17.20.020    Permitted uses.

17.20.030    Conditional uses.

17.20.040    Minimum property development standards.

17.20.010 Intent.

The RR-1 low density rural residential zone is intended to provide for areas where the rural atmosphere can be maintained and where limited farming operations such as general crop farming, suburban horse ranchettes and growing of orchards can be conducted. This zone is not intended to allow intense farming operations, feed lots or other uses that could create offensive odors or large amounts of dust or insects. Typical lot or parcel sizes for this zone are five acres to 20 acres, with lots/parcels in excess of 20 acres being more appropriate for agricultural uses. The numbers of large animals are restricted depending upon the size of the parcel. (Ord. 472 § 3, 2010; Ord. 441 § 1, 2000).

17.20.020 Permitted uses.

Permitted uses allowed in the RR-1 zone are set forth in Table 17.20-1. (Ord. 472 § 3, 2010; Ord. 441 § 1, 2000).

17.20.030 Conditional uses.

Conditional uses allowed in the RR-1 zone, subject to the conditional use permit regulations, are set forth in Table 17.20-1.

Table 17.20-1

RR-1 Low Density Rural Residential Zone
– Permitted and Conditional Uses 


Permitted Use1

Conditional Use2

Accessory buildings and structures


Agricultural crops


Animals on lots or parcels at least one-half acre in size with large animals restricted to one per half-acre, except that parcels larger than five acres could have one large animal per half-acre for the first five acres and four per acre for all acres beyond the initial five acres


Hatching, raising and fattening of chickens, rabbits or cattle for domestic use only. There shall be no killing or dressing of any such animals or poultry on the premises for commercial purposes


Orchards and nurseries


Home occupations as provided in Chapter 17.46 HMC


Single-family homes and mobile homes


Residential care homes serving up to six clients, includes foster family homes and small family homes for nonmedical assisted group care


Churches, temples or other places used exclusively for religious worship


Communications equipment buildings


Country clubs


Electric distribution substations, including microwave facilities


Fire stations


Golf courses






Police stations


Service stations/convenience stores


Schools, through grade 12, accredited, including appurtenant facilities, which offer instruction required to be taught in the public schools by the Education Code of the State of California, but excluding trade or commercial schools


Storage, temporary, of materials and construction equipment used in construction or maintenance of streets and highways, sewers, storm drains, underground conduits, flood control works, pipelines and similar uses


1    Other similar uses shall be allowed subject to recommendation by the planning commission and adoption by the city council.

2    These uses shall be permitted subject to a conditional use permit.

(Ord. 472 § 3, 2010; Ord. 441 § 1, 2000).

17.20.040 Minimum property development standards.

The development standards set forth in Table 17.20-2 shall apply to all land and buildings in the RR-1 zone, except that any lot or parcel depicted on an official subdivision map or parcel map for which a bona fide deed has been duly recorded prior to December 1991 may be used as a building site as further provided in this title.

Table 17.20-2

RR-1 Low Density Rural Residential
Zone – Minimum Property Development Standards 

Development Standards

RR-1 Low Density Rural Residential Zone

Minimum lot area1

5 acres

Maximum density

1 dwelling unit/5 acres of lot area

Maximum lot coverage

10 percent

Maximum building height

35 feet or two stories, whichever is less

Minimum distance between buildings

10 feet

Minimum lot width

250 feet

Minimum lot depth

650 feet

Minimum front yard requirements

75 feet

Minimum side yard requirements

15 feet

Minimum rear yard requirements

50 feet

1    Pre-existing legal lots or parcels are exempt from this minimum.

(Ord. 472 § 3, 2010; Ord. 441 § 1, 2000).