Chapter 17.48


17.48.010    General.

17.48.020    Initiating proceedings.

17.48.030    Form of petition.

17.48.040    Council hearing and determination.

17.48.050    Recording.

17.48.010 General.

A. Property which has been subdivided may be reverted to acreage under the Subdivision Map Act and this chapter. (Government Code Sections 66499.11 through 66499.20 1/4.)

B. By owner application, a subdivision may be merged or merged and resubdivided without reverting to acreage under Chapter 17.51 PMC. (Government Code Sections 66499.20 1/2, 66499.20 3/4.)

C. A subdivision may be merged on the initiative of the city under Chapter 17.52 PMC. (Government Code Sections 66451 through 66451.21.) [Ord. 09-1315 § 3 (Exh. A), 2009; Ord. 1059 § 6, 1993; Ord. 962 § 2 (Exh. A), 1989.]

17.48.020 Initiating proceedings.

Proceedings for reversion to acreage may be initiated by either:

A. The city council on its own motion, in which case the council shall direct the department to obtain the necessary information; or

B. Petition of all owners of record of the real property within the subdivision. The petition shall comply with PMC 17.48.030 and shall be submitted to the city engineer. (Government Code Section 66499.12.) [Ord. 09-1315 § 3 (Exh. A), 2009; Ord. 962 § 2 (Exh. A), 1989.]

17.48.030 Form of petition.

The petition shall contain the following:

A. Adequate evidence of title to the property;

B. Sufficient data to enable the city council to make the determinations and findings set forth in PMC 17.48.040;

C. A final or parcel map, in the form prescribed by PMC 17.24.040 delineating dedications that will not be vacated and dedications required as a condition to reversion. Such a final map or parcel map shall be conspicuously designated with the title, “The Purpose of this Map is a Reversion to Acreage”; and

D. Other relevant information as the city may require. (Government Code Sections 66499.13, 66499.20 1/4.) [Ord. 09-1315 § 3 (Exh. A), 2009; Ord. 962 § 2 (Exh. A), 1989.]

17.48.040 Council hearing and determination.

A. The city engineer shall submit the completed petition together with a report and recommendation to the city council for consideration.

B. The city council shall consider the matter at a public hearing, with notice of the hearing given in accord with PMC 17.16.060. (Government Code Section 66499.15.)

C. The city council may approve a reversion to acreage only if it finds and records by resolution that:

1. Dedications or offers of dedication to be vacated or abandoned by the reversion to acreage are unnecessary for present or prospective public purposes; and

2. Either:

a. All owners having an interest in the real property within the subdivision have consented to reversion; or

b. None of the improvements required to be made has been made within two years from the date the final or parcel map was filed for record, or within the time allowed by agreement for completion of the improvements, whichever is later; or

c. No lots shown on the final or parcel map or portion thereof have been sold within five years from the date such map was filed for record. (Government Code Section 66499.16.)

D. The city council may require as conditions of the reversion:

1. That owners dedicate or offer to dedicate streets, public right-of-way or easements;

2. That all or a portion of previously paid subdivision fees, deposits or improvements securities be retained if they are necessary to accomplish any of the purposes or provisions of this title; and

3. Such other conditions of reversion as are necessary to accomplish the purposes or provisions of this title or necessary to protect the public health, safety or welfare.

A tax bond is not required. (Government Code Sections 66499.17, 66499.20.) [Ord. 09-1315 § 3 (Exh. A), 2009; Ord. 962 § 2 (Exh. A), 1989.]

17.48.050 Recording.

A. If the city council approves the reversion, the city clerk shall transmit the final or parcel map, together with the council resolution, to the county recorder.

B. Upon such filing, the reversion is effective and all dedications and offers of dedication not shown on the map are terminated. (Government Code Section 66499.18.) [Ord. 09-1315 § 3 (Exh. A), 2009; Ord. 962 § 2 (Exh. A), 1989.]