22-851 Service connections; removal.

Before moving or wrecking any building, it shall be the duty of the mover or wrecker to see that the sewer line is plugged with a concrete stopper, the water shut off, and the meter returned to the city water division. The electric and gas services shall be removed by the utility company.

(Code 1985, § 7-9)

22-852 Public protection.

When wrecking buildings adjacent to streets, sidewalks or alleys, suitable fences and/or barricades shall be erected to protect the public from falling materials, cave-ins and the necessary precautions taken to protect buildings, public walks, paving, etc., adjacent thereto.

(Code 1985, § 7-11)

22-853—22-875 Reserved.


22-876 Required; refusal.

No person shall move any building or structure from one location to another or wreck such building or structure without first obtaining a permit from the building and safety engineering division. This permit may be refused if, in the judgement of the administrator or other authorized person, the building is:

(1)    Too large to move without causing damage to property; or

(2)    Structurally unsafe or unfit for the purpose for which moved.

(Code 1985, § 7-2)

22-877 Application; fees; route certification; trees.

(a)    The person requesting a permit under this article shall set forth in his application the streets, alleys and other public places upon and through which the proposed building will be moved and the name of the owner of the building.

(b)    An application for a permit under this article shall be accompanied by a permit fee of $25.00. All applications to move buildings into the city from another city, village or township shall be accompanied by a fee of $50.00 for necessary preliminary inspections.

(c)    The applicant for a permit under this article shall submit a schedule of time and routes approved by the chief of police when the proposed building or structure shall be moved. The applicant shall also notify all utility companies, the public works and services department, parks and recreation, and the electrical superintendent one week in advance of the proposed route. Certification shall be made from such utility companies and electrical superintendent and the public works and services department, parks and recreation, and filed with the application. The person moving the building shall post on such building, in a conspicuous place, the permit which will be given by the administrator after compliance with this article.

(d)    In the moving of the building, the director of parks and recreation shall issue a written approval for any trees to be cut, trimmed or removed along the proposed route. The person moving the building shall use extraordinary care to prevent any damage to shade trees or public utility installations, curbs, sidewalks, electric signal installations and private properties.

(Code 1985, § 7-3)

22-878 Cash deposit required; conditions; refusal.

(a)    The administrator is hereby directed to inspect all applications for moving or wrecking buildings in the city for compliance with the terms and conditions contained in this article.

(b)    If a permit to move a building is requested, the applicant shall accompany his application with a cash deposit in the amount of $1,000.00 by the owner to protect the city against any delays, negligence in removing the building from its location, city expense incurred, or in cleaning up the premises and removing rubbish or debris from its former location, and conditioned further that the building will be completed at its new location within a period of six months, and that the applicant will bring the building on its new location in compliance with the building, electrical and plumbing codes within the six-month period.

(c)    The cash deposit of $1,000.00 shall be utilized to reimburse the city for any expenses incurred by the fire, police, electrical, public works and services departments or any other city department in connection with the moving of buildings under this article. Such departments shall keep a record of the time allotted to such project. The city’s cost shall be charged against such deposit and credited to the proper funds.

(d)    If the applicant or owner fails or neglects to comply with any of the stipulations and conditions of this section, the cash deposit shall be used by the city to bring the building into compliance with city ordinances or to place the premises where the building has been removed in a neat and level condition free from rubbish and debris. The cash bond required by this section shall be held by the city until after the expiration of such six-month period. After payment of all city expenses have been made and after the premises have been restored to a safe, neat, clean and tidy condition and in accordance with the provisions of this article, the balance of such cash bond shall be returned to the owner making such deposit.

(Code 1985, § 7-4)

22-879 Payment of taxes and other charges.

Before the permit required in section 22-876 is issued, the owner of the property shall present to the administrator, for filing, sufficient verification of ownership of the property and that the property is free of any liens or encumbrances, and that all taxes and any city charges against the property are paid in full.

(Code 1985, § 7-7)

22-880 Statement of ownership.

The applicant, if other than the owner, shall present a written statement or bill of sale signed by the owner that he is entitled to move or wreck the building or structure. The statement or bill of sale will be filed with the permit in the office of the administrator.

(Code 1985, § 7-8)

22-881 Insurance requirement.

Whenever a building is to be moved through the streets of the city the applicant shall file with the clerk a comprehensive public liability insurance policy and property damage insurance policy insuring all utilities and the city against any damage by reason of the moving of the house within the city limits. The policy of insurance shall be in the amount of $100,000.00 for any one person and $300,000.00 for any one accident, and $50,000.00 for property damage.

(Code 1985, § 7-5)

22-882 Wrecking buildings; bond.

If a permit is requested to wreck a building, the cash deposit shall be as provided in section 22-884 and conditioned that the applicant will clean up the premises where the building has been razed and leave the premises in a neat and tidy condition, level to existing grade, all to be approved by the administrator.

(Code 1985, § 7-6)

22-883 Compliance with code provisions; skids.

(a)    Permission to move a building from one location to another is contingent upon compliance with the building code, the fire code and the zoning ordinance, and in the case of a dwelling, with the state housing act and the housing code.

(b)    No building shall be moved over any street, alley or public place on skids.

(Code 1985, § 7-10)

22-884 Wrecking building; deposit schedule.

A person desiring to wreck or raze any building shall deposit with the administrator the following sums in accordance with the following sizes of basement areas conditioned that applicant perform the provisions of sections 22-876 through 22-880:


Up to 500 sq. ft. without basement    



Up to 500 sq. ft. with basement    



From 500 sq. ft. to 1,000 sq. ft. without basement    



From 500 sq. ft. to 1,000 sq. ft. with basement    



One thousand sq. ft. and larger, and special buildings: Conditions and deposits determined by the building inspector, but not to exceed    


(Code 1985, § 7-12)

22-885 Wrecking building, permit fees.

Permit fees for wrecking or razing a building shall be set from time to time by resolution of the council. The fee shall be paid to the city at the time of application and shall be based on each 500 square feet, or fraction thereof, of floor space for each floor, including the basement.

(Code 1985, § 7-13)

22-886—22-909 Reserved.


State law referenceMoving buildings along highways, MCL 247.188, 247.189, MSA 9.268, 9.269.