Chapter 13.05


13.05.010    Definitions.

13.05.020    Application for connection.

13.05.030    Developer connection fee/capacity charge payment.

13.05.040    Connection to the city’s main.

13.05.050    Water services for premises.

13.05.060    Cross-connections.

13.05.070    Private pipe standards.

13.05.080    Water services meter location.

13.05.090    Service connection – Special conditions.

13.05.100    Water service connection fees and charges.

13.05.110    Service connection – Location of service pipe.

13.05.120    Plumbing requirements.

13.05.130    Inspection and access for inspection.

13.05.140    Turn-on – New installation.

13.05.150    Turn-on – Request.

13.05.160    Turn-on – Unauthorized.

13.05.170    Liability disclaimer.

13.05.180    Service calls.

13.05.190    Responsibility for water service rate charge.

13.05.200    Inactive water service – Inactive water service utility account.

13.05.210    Reactive and inactive water service.

13.05.220    Construction or repairs report.

13.05.230    Disconnection of service – Condemned building.

13.05.240    Disconnection of service – Demolished or removed building.

13.05.250    Meter ownership.

13.05.260    Meters – Commercial and industrial change in meter service size.

13.05.270    Meter maintenance, repair and relocation.

13.05.280    Water service outside corporate limits.

13.05.290    Private water systems.

13.05.300    Connection to city water system.

13.05.310    Hydrants – Authorized use.

13.05.320    Damage to water system.

13.05.330    Damage or interference with access to water system – Violation.

13.05.340    Interruption of service.

13.05.350    Construction standards.

13.05.360    Miscellaneous control devices.

13.05.370    Protection of the public health.

13.05.380    Water rates.

13.05.390    Method of billing and payment.

13.05.400    Water rates for multiple dwelling units or businesses sharing one service.

13.05.410    Delinquency – Lien.

13.05.420    Water main extension request.

13.05.430    Water main extension design.

13.05.440    Water main extension installation.

13.05.450    Appeal.

13.05.460    Rules and regulations – Adopted by reference.

13.05.470    Severability clause.

13.05.480    Violations and penalties.

13.05.490    Enforcement.

13.05.500    Utility location requests.

13.05.510    Water leak bill adjustments.

13.05.010 Definitions.

The following words or phrases shall have the meanings set forth for the purposes of this chapter:

“Agreement” means all agreements for service, installations, meters and special service made with any person, firm or corporation, or the authorized agents thereof.

“Applicant” means any person, firm or corporation applying for water service or any other connection to the city of Roslyn water system.

“CCF” means 100 cubic feet (approximately 748 gallons).

“City” means the city of Roslyn, Washington.

“City council” means the governing body of the city of Roslyn, Washington.

“Connection” means any physical connection to the city of Roslyn water system by any water service or any pipeline extension.

“Cost” means the cost of labor, material, transportation, supervision, engineering and all other necessary expenses as determined by the city.

“County” means Kittitas County, Washington.

“Cross-connection” means any connection between any part of the water system used or intended to supply water for drinking purposes and any source or system containing water or substance that is not or cannot be approved as safe, wholesome and potable for human consumption, or any interconnection to another source or system that has not been approved by the water superintendent on or after the date of adoption of this chapter.

“Customer” means any person, firm or corporation obtaining or using water service from the water system of the city of Roslyn.

“Equivalent dwelling unit” means or refers to a unit of water capacity determined by the city to be equivalent to the capacity (or average capacity) typically used by, or allocated to, a single-family residential dwelling unit. For the purposes of this chapter, an equivalent dwelling unit (EDU) of water capacity shall be equal to 300 gallons per day of water use as determined through the standard water billing process.

“Main” means a water line designed or used to serve more than one premises. Mains and connections to mains are controlled by the city.

“Multiple dwelling units” means duplexes, apartment buildings, condominiums, mobile home parks, trailer courts, multiple-unit commercial structures and other multiple-unit structures or buildings.

“Person” means natural persons of either sex, associations, partnerships and corporations, whether acting by themselves or by a servant, agent or employee, the singular number to be construed to include the plural and the masculine pronoun to include the feminine.

“Premises” means a private home building, apartment house, condominiums, mobile home parks, a property under one ownership and under a single control with respect to the use of water and responsibility for payment thereof.

“Service charges” means fees, costs, rates and charges for water services established and set by ordinance.

“Service, commercial” means water service to businesses engaged in the manufacture and/or sale of a commodity or commodities or the rendering of a service, hotels, motels, schools, hospitals and public office buildings.

“Service, industrial” means water service to a business enterprise engaged in the manufacture of products, materials, equipment, machinery and supplies or commodities on a substantial or major scale.

“Service installation” means all piping and fittings from the main to and including the water meter assembly. All piping and fittings from the meter to the premises served shall be the responsibility of the customer.

“Service, residential” means water service to a single-family dwelling unit.

“Service, temporary” means water service and facilities rendered for construction work and other uses of limited duration and the water available therefor.

“Superintendent” means the superintendent of water works of the city of Roslyn, and any act in this chapter required or authorized to be done by the superintendent may be done on behalf of the superintendent by an authorized officer or employee of the water department.

“System” means all water source and supply facilities, transmission lines, storage facilities, pumping plants, distribution mains and appurtenances.

“System, private” means a water system, or pipelines and appurtenances, pumping, reservoirs, treatment facilities, or any combination thereof that are owned by other than the city of Roslyn. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.020 Application for connection.

Each premises shall have separate water service or services as set forth in RMC 13.05.060. Application for water service shall be submitted concurrently with a complete building permit application and all required building permit fees.

A. The application shall be made on a printed form furnished by the city for that purpose. The application form shall contain the following information:

1. Name and address of applicant;

2. Location and legal description of premises where water service is requested;

3. Purpose for which water is to be used;

4. Number of living or commercial units within the premises to be supplied;

5. Statement that the applicant agrees to abide by the rules and regulations contained in this chapter and agreements contained in the application;

6. Signature of owner of premises or his duly authorized representative or agent;

7. Date signed;

8. Such additional information as the superintendent shall require.

B. Applicants for service within the corporate limits of the city may be required to present a copy of the certificate of occupancy for the premises where water service is being requested.

C. Service outside the corporate limits of the city shall not be allowed.

D. Applications requesting more than one equivalent dwelling unit (EDU) of capacity shall require approval of the city council. If, after the superintendent reviews the application, it has been determined that more than one EDU of capacity is being requested, the superintendent shall present the application, along with any applicable information, to the city council for their consideration. The city council may approve or deny the application; postpone action on the application pending submittal of additional information; refer the request to the planning commission, a council committee or other entity for review and comment prior to considering the request; approve a modified proposal and/or make approval contingent upon other factors or conditions. In any event, approval by the city council shall be contingent upon meeting all city specifications and standards, payment of all applicable fees and charges, receiving approval from any other jurisdiction that may be required and complying with all regulations that may apply.

E. The application for water service shall contain an agreement requiring the applicant to pay for the water supplied at the rates and in the manner specified by city ordinances, reserving unto the city the right to charge and collect the rates and to enforce the penalties provided in city ordinances and to change the rates by ordinance at any time, allowing the city to temporarily discontinue the service at any time without notice to the customer, and specifying that said agreement is subject to all the provisions of this chapter and of any ordinance of the city relating to the public water system of the city. The agreement shall provide that the city shall not be held responsible for any damage by water or other cause resulting from defective plumbing or appliances on the premises supplied with water installed by the owner or occupant of such premises, and shall provide that in the event the supply of water shall be interrupted or fail by failures or interruptions for any reasonable period of time be held to constitute a breach of agreement on the part of the city or in any way relieve the customer from performing the obligations of his agreement. The city shall not be held liable for damage to personal property stored in the portion of the street between the curb and the property line, nor to the real property in said area, resulting from leakage or the breaking of pipes or appliances maintained by the city within the portion of the street herein described. All agreements contained in the application shall take effect from the date the application is approved by the superintendent. If for any reason the superintendent does not approve an application requiring his approval, the superintendent shall explain the reason for disapproval in writing at the request of the applicant, and no conditions or agreement shall be in effect.

F. No physical connection to the water system shall be made nor shall any street or road be cut in with regard to such a connection between the dates of October 15th and April 15th of any calendar year unless it is determined by the street and water departments that proper weather conditions allow such a connection.

G. When an application for connection is approved, the applicant has 15 days to pay all appropriate fees to the city. If said fees are not paid within 15 days, the approval for said connection is withdrawn and terminated without further notice. [Ord. 981 § 1, 2005; Ord. 966 § 1, 2004; Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.030 Developer connection fee/capacity charge payment.

Owners and/or developers of all property shall be required to pay all water fees and charges required by this chapter or other applicable code provisions within 15 days after approval of the water service application by the water committee. If all such required water fees and charges are not paid within 15 days after approval by the water committee, any such approval shall be void and of no effect. All such fees and charges shall be paid prior to any physical connection or installation of facilities and no service shall be delivered or provided until such fees are paid. Such charges and/or fees shall be nonrefundable. Unless modified by the city council, the system development fee shall be $2,000, of which $1,000 shall be deposited in the water reserve fund and $1,000 shall be deposited in the general water fund. [Ord. 981 § 2, 2005; Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.040 Connection to the city’s main.

After payment of all connection fees, system development fees, capacity charges, service charges and any other applicable fees and charges, and the execution of the agreement herein described, the superintendent shall cause the premises described in the application, if the same abut upon a street in which there is a city water main, to be connected to the city’s water main by a service pipe extending at right angles from the main to the property line except as herein provided. The city connection, which shall include a stopcock placed within the curb line and the meter set assembly in conformance to city specifications, shall be maintained by and kept within the exclusive control of the city.

Where there is a water main in front of any premises, the owner of such premises supplied by city water shall have his own separate service connection with the city main and premises so supplied shall not supply water to any other premises, except temporarily as approved by the superintendent; provided, however, that such restrictions shall not apply to services existing as of the effective date of the ordinance codified in this chapter. If two or more premises are supplied by one metered service, service charges for each premises supplied with water shall be assessed for each separate building or premises so supplied. Services existing as of the effective date of the ordinance codified in this chapter shall be separated at such time as the owner or occupant thereof shall obtain a building permit for the remodeling or structural alteration of such premises. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.050 Water services for premises.

Each premises shall have a separate water service or services. All water services shall be metered. Premises containing multiple dwelling units and/or containing more than one commercial or industrial business shall have separate metered water service for each individual dwelling unit and/or commercial or industrial unit, except where situations and/or special conditions exist that make an individual service for each unit impossible or unfeasible at the discretion of the superintendent who shall determine when such situations or conditions prohibit individual services. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.060 Cross-connections.

The superintendent may limit the kind and number of service connections which may be requested for any separate premises. No service connection shall be allowed from the city mains to any premises supplied by water from any other source unless special permission is given by the superintendent in writing, which special permission may be terminated at any time if, in the judgment of the superintendent, public interest would be served. In no event shall any crossconnection be allowed between two or more city service connections, or between any city service connection and pipes supplying water from any other source.

When the superintendent determines that the potential for a cross-connection may exist and/or state regulations require a backflow prevention device(s) to protect the city water system from actual and/or potential cross-connections, the customer shall be required to install a backflow prevention device(s) approved both by the Washington State Department of Health and the city. Such backflow prevention device(s) shall be provided and installed by the customer, and tested by a certified backflow assembly tester, and inspected and approved by the city. All customers required by the city and/or by state regulations to have a backflow prevention device(s) shall be responsible to have such device(s) inspected and tested annually by a state-certified backflow assembly tester. Such customers shall be responsible for all costs in providing and maintaining any backflow prevention device(s) that may be required. Any water service where the customer fails to comply with the provisions of the city’s crossconnection control program and/or state cross-connection control regulations shall be subject to shut-off and/or disconnection. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.070 Private pipe standards.

All persons connecting to city service or laying their own private pipe shall be required to use pipe of sufficient strength and quality, and the installation shall be done in such a manner so that breaks, leaks, and freezing are avoided.

In all permanent sprinkler systems or other systems where contamination or cross-connections are possible, an approved backflow prevention device shall be installed. The superintendent shall maintain private services from the city mains in streets that are being graded and shall have access on private property as shall be necessary to maintain such pipes during the work, and shall as soon as practicable upon the completion of such work relay such pipes in the street. Except for the above cause, owners shall maintain their private pipes from the end of the city’s service to and into their property, or, in the event the superintendent finds it necessary to maintain the same, the owner shall relinquish all right in said pipes. When necessary, the superintendent may slope service on property to conform to the slope occasioned by the grading of the street and charge the expense thereof to the owner of the service. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.080 Water services meter location.

All water service connections shall be made by, or under the control of, the city. Meters shall be placed as follows:

A. Within the corporate limits of the city of Roslyn, meters shall be placed within two feet of the edge of private property.

B. Within the county, meters shall be placed within the county right-of-way and within two feet of the property line nearest the customer’s premises.

C. In instances other than contained herein, or where the superintendent determines that unusual or conflicting conditions exist, the location of meters shall be determined by the superintendent. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.090 Service connection – Special conditions.

When two or more premises are being serviced by one water service connection, the city shall have the right to require the installation of additional water service connections from water main to the premises. When additional water service connections are provided for any premises, all water service shall be metered and installed in an approved manner. No premises shall be permitted to furnish water to any other premises, except during an emergency which shall not exceed a period of 30 days. An application to cover the emergency connections shall be filed with the city within 48 hours of the occurrence causing the emergency. When the intended use of the water service is changed or the structure served is altered, a new service shall be installed at the customer’s expense unless the existing service complies with the provisions hereof. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.100 Water service connection fees and charges.

Water connection shall be made by and under the control of the city after an application for same has been approved by the city and payment of all water service connection and capacity fees, installation charges and any other applicable fees and charges as required by the city ordinance and/or city council approved and established latecomer fee agreement(s) has been made. All water capacity charges received shall be considered capital revenue of the city. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.110 Service connection – Location of service pipe.

Water service pipe shall not be laid or maintained parallel with and within five feet horizontally of any sanitary sewer, electrical conduit, gas pipe, or communications cable. When additional water pipe extensions or replacements are to be made beneath the surface of the ground within the premises and connected with existing water service pipes between the meter and the premises, an application therefor shall be made to the city for inspection and approval prior to backfilling the trenches. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.120 Plumbing requirements.

All persons installing fixtures or appliances to be supplied with water from the city main shall be subject to the requirements of the Uniform Plumbing Code. Persons installing plumbing in new structures shall leave the valve at the meter in the “off” position upon completion of their work. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.130 Inspection and access for inspection.

Authorized employees of the city, properly identified, shall have access at reasonable times of the day to all parts of the premises or within buildings thereon to which water is supplied from city mains, for the purpose of checking conformity to these regulations, provided, such employees shall have access to single-family residential premises only upon a showing of probable cause to believe that the water service or plumbing therein is not in conformity with these regulations. Whenever the owner or occupant of any premises supplied by city water restrains authorized city employees from making such necessary inspections, water service may be refused or discontinued. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.140 Turn-on – New installation.

When new water service connections are installed by the city for any premises, the valve at the meter shall be turned to the “off” position and remain off until a turn-on order shall be issued by the city upon written application therefor by the owner of the premises to be supplied after inspection and approval by the city and after the proper plumbing inspection has been performed and a certificate issued that all provisions of the Uniform Plumbing Code have been complied with. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.150 Turn-on – Request.

When it is desired to have the water turned on after it has been turned off for any reason, the turn-on shall be made upon receipt of a written application or verbal request by the city, provided all service charges, including any penalties owed at the time of the request, or receipt of the written application, have been paid, the city may require that conditions set forth in RMC 13.05.140 apply. The customer shall also be charged for a service call as required by RMC 13.05.180. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.160 Turn-on – Unauthorized.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except duly authorized employees of the city, to turn on the water supply to any premises after a turn-off is made at the meter by the city. The water service pipe to any premises turned on by an unauthorized person after said water supply has been turned off by the city for cause may, upon discovery, be disconnected by the city from the water main in the street and shall not be connected again until violations of these rules and regulations have been corrected and all expenses incurred by the city relating to disconnecting and reconnecting the service pipe are paid. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.170 Liability disclaimer.

The city shall not be liable for any damage to person or property that may result from the turn-off or turn-on of the water service or from the service being left on when the premises may be unoccupied. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.180 Service calls.

Service calls, for any reason, including but not limited to convenience or turn-on, paid delinquent account turn-on, or complaint leaks, or other problems due to trouble in lines not owned by the city, or problems in lines, valves, meters owned by the city, caused by problems or conditions other than by the city, shall be charged to the customer requesting the service call at the appropriate rate as provided in city ordinance. The amount charged for the service call shall be billed to the customer as a separate charge and shall be due and payable within seven days after the date of the bill. RMC 13.05.410 shall apply when any service call charges become delinquent and unpaid. Service calls when it is determined by the city that the problem or trouble is in lines, valves, meters or facilities owned by the city will result in no charge to the customer. Service call charges shall not be charged during regular working hours. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.190 Responsibility for water service rate charge.

All accounts for water shall be kept only in the name of the owner of the premises for which service is installed. The property owner shall have the right to have statements for service rate charges mailed to a tenant, lessee, or agent, but such mailing shall not relieve the property owner from liability for payment of water service rate charges incurred. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.200 Inactive water service – Inactive water service utility account.

In order for a water service and its associated water service utility account to remain active and continue to be authorized to receive water service, water utility bills must be paid. Even if the water service is inactive and no water consumption occurs during a billing period, water service base rate charges as established by ordinance must be paid. When any service is turned off for nonpayment of water utility bills for a period of four months, the water service utility account shall become inactive and it shall be subject to termination and the water service shall be subject to disconnection and removal at the discretion of the superintendent. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.210 Reactive and inactive water service.

A. If any single-family residential water service has been inactive and the associated water service account has been terminated, the owner of said single-family dwelling unit may request reinstatement of the water service and water service account if:

1. There is sufficient capacity of water service available;

2. There is no moratorium or prohibition to such reactivation of single-family dwelling unit;

3. The owner pays the lessor of either the current connection/capacity charges for such water services, or back (or unpaid) water service base rate charges for water service. Back charges shall be equal to the total current water service base rate charges for the minimum residential water service multiplied by the total number of months that the water service has been in an inactive status and/or for the period of months that such base rate charges have not been paid; and

4. The owner pays all costs associated with the installation or reinstallation of water services and any other improvements or modifications necessary to provide such water service. The amount of such installation charges shall not exceed the water system development fee in effect at the time of the request to reactivate the services made.

B. In order for any commercial water service or multiple equivalent dwelling units (EDUs) water service or account which has been inactive and/or terminated to be reactivated, it must meet the following conditions:

1. There is sufficient capacity of water service available;

2. There is not a moratorium or prohibition to such reactivation;

3. The owner or persons requesting activation of such water service pays current connection/capacity charges per EDU for the water service for which reactivation is being requested; and

4. The property owner or person requesting reactivation of such commercial or multiple EDU water service shall pay the water meter service installation charges or any or all charges or costs necessary to provide a water meter service installation then in effect. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.220 Construction or repairs report.

It shall be the responsibility of the building inspector to report to the superintendent the beginning of construction or repairs to all buildings in the city, which report shall contain a general description of the building to be constructed or repaired, the name of the owner and contractor thereof, and the owner of the premises, or his authorized agent. Water for construction purposes shall be furnished by meter and charged to the owner of the premises supplied. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.230 Disconnection of service – Condemned building.

Whenever a building or premises supplied with water has been found by the proper authorities to be dangerous to human life and unfit for human habitation, and notice of such findings has been provided to the superintendent by said authorities, the superintendent shall cause the water service to such premises to be turned off. Water service to such premises shall not be turned on until the owner and/or agent has secured a release or clearance from the proper authorities. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.240 Disconnection of service – Demolished or removed building.

Whenever a building or structure supplied with water has been proposed by the owner to be demolished or removed, the owner and/or agent of the property shall notify the city of such proposed actions a minimum of three working days prior to the anticipated date when the building will be demolished or removed. The superintendent shall then cause the water service to such premises to be turned off prior to the demolition or building removal. Water service to such premises shall not be turned on until the owner and/or agent has demonstrated that there are no plumbing problems associated with the premises and waterlines connected to the water service, and until the owner and/or agent has requested that the water service be turned on. Prior to such demolition or removal, all connections shall be disconnected by the owner and/or agent of the property. Any damage to the city infrastructure caused by such demolition or removal shall be the responsibility of the property owner. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.250 Meter ownership.

All meters provided and installed on water service connections by the city shall be and remain the property of the city. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.260 Meters – Commercial and industrial change in meter service size.

Whenever the owner of any premises with an existing water meter service desires to enlarge a meter service size, an application shall be made to the city and, upon approval by the superintendent and the city council, the new meter service shall be installed at the expense of the owner. No credit shall be given for the existing meter service. A new hookup fee shall be charged for based on the size of the hookup. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.270 Meter maintenance, repair and relocation.

The city shall maintain and repair all service meters and replace meters periodically when necessary if rendered unserviceable by ordinary use. When replacement, repair to, or raising, lowering or otherwise relocating any meter is necessary by reason of the neglect, carelessness or willful act, including landscaping and other terrain modifications, of the owner or occupant of the premises served, all expenses of such replacement, repair or relocation incurred by the city shall be borne by the owner of the premises. [Ord. 994 § 1, 2006; Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.280 Water service outside corporate limits.

All rules and regulations referring to the management of the city water system effective inside the corporate city limits of the city shall apply. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.290 Private water systems.

No private water systems are allowed to be connected directly or indirectly to the city water system. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.300 Connection to city water system.

The owner of each house, building, or property that is used for human occupancy, employment, recreation, commercial, or industrial activity, or other purpose, situated within the city limits of Roslyn and abutting on any street, alley or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located mains for a public water system, shall be required at his or her expense to connect to such mains within 30 days after official notice to do so or prior to receiving permission and building permits from the city for any construction on any such property. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.310 Hydrants – Authorized use.

No person other than authorized employees of the city shall operate fire hydrants and hose outlets unless proper arrangements have been made for payment therefor and permission has been granted by the superintendent. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.320 Damage to water system.

Any person causing damage to any property belonging to the city shall be liable to the city for any and all damages resulting either directly or indirectly therefrom. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.330 Damage or interference with access to water system – Violation.

No person shall disturb, break, deface, damage or trespass upon any property belonging to or connected with the water system of the city in any manner whatsoever. No person shall store, maintain or keep any goods, merchandise, materials or rubbish within a distance of five feet or interfere with the access or operation of any water meter, gate valve, fire hydrant, or any other appurtenances in use on any water service, connection or water main. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.340 Interruption of service.

In the event of emergency or whenever the public health, safety, or the equitable distribution of water so demands, the superintendent may authorize the city to change, reduce or limit the time for or temporarily discontinue the use of water. Water service may be temporarily interrupted for purposes of making repairs, extensions or doing other necessary work. Before so changing, reducing, limiting or interrupting the use of water, the city shall notify, insofar as practicable, all water consumers affected. The city shall not be responsible for any damage resulting from interruption, change or failure of the water supply. In addition, the city makes no commitment as to the volume of water available, pressure, or continuity of service, and will not be liable for injuries or damage due to insufficient volumes, inadequate pressure or interruption of service. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.350 Construction standards.

All persons, firms, corporations and governmental agencies and/or their contractors repairing, replacing, installing, extending or performing other work on water system lines, facilities, service lines, connections and/or appurtenances thereto, or performing other work that may interfere, conflict, affect or endanger the water system of the city shall follow and comply with the provisions of the development guidelines and standards of the city as adopted by the city. Where the development guidelines and standards of the city are silent on any construction standards issue, the current version of the Washington State Department of Transportation/Washington State Chapter of the American Public Works Association Standards Specifications for Road, Bridge, and Municipal Construction shall apply. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.360 Miscellaneous control devices.

The city reserves the right to require any customer to install, as a condition of water service, a pressure-reducing valve, backflow prevention device, pressure relief valve and/or similar devices at any location where the superintendent determines a need to protect the city’s water system and/or facilities. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.370 Protection of the public health.

The superintendent shall conduct periodic inspections of the water system in coordination with the appropriate health department. The superintendent shall, from time to time, suggest rules and regulations deemed necessary by him or her to the city council to protect the municipal fresh water supply from pollution. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.380 Water rates.

The monthly water rates for use of water provided by the Roslyn water system shall be in the categories and at the rates set out in the Water Rates Table shown below and shall consist of the following three charges:

A. A monthly fixed charge; and

B. A volume charge for water use over 1,000 cubic feet per EDU; and

C. A fixed reserve charge per EDU.

Water Rates Table 









Monthly Fixed Charge/Account

Residential in-town








Residential out-of-town








Commercial in-town








Commercial out-of-town








School district K-8








School district high school








Penn Place Apartments








Water District No. 2








Special rate[1]








Volume Rate (use over 1,000 cf per EDU)[2]
















Reserve Charge

Per EDU/month








[1]    Special rates pursuant to RCW 35.92.020(5) shall apply only for individuals receiving a property tax break for elderly, disabled, or reduced-income persons.

[2]    The winter volume rate is charged for all water use from November through April. The summer volume rate is charged for all water use May through October.

[3]    Actual EDUs will be calculated based on actual connections.

Existing hookups without meters will be charged the base rate for 1,000 cubic feet. Commercial buildings housing multiple businesses will be billed the standard commercial rate with overages as per regular commercial accounts. The payment of all water rates is the responsibility of the owner of the property served with water by the city of Roslyn. Only the property owner will be billed for water.

The above water rates will be in effect January 1st and assessed beginning with the February 1st billing of each year. Beginning January 1, 2023, rates shall increase by three percent per year, and will be assessed beginning with the February 1st billing of each year. [Ord. 1127 § 1, 2016.]

13.05.390 Method of billing and payment.

Payment for water service, in accordance with applicable provisions of city ordinances related to water rates, shall be due on the last day of the month the statement is mailed. Water statements for residential services will be mailed to the customers on a monthly basis. Water statements for commercial services will be mailed to those customers on a monthly basis. All water statements are to be paid either by mail or in person to the city at City Hall. Unpaid statements become delinquent on the last day of the month the bill is mailed, and on the last day of the month a delinquency charge as established by RMC 13.05.410 shall be added to each unpaid statement. It shall be the duty of the city clerk to notify by mail each delinquent user within 10 days after the delinquency. Two months after the delinquency, the city clerk shall give to the superintendent a list of such delinquencies and it shall be his duty to immediately shut off the water service to such delinquent premises. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.400 Water rates for multiple dwelling units or businesses sharing one service.

Where the superintendent has determined that individual services are impossible or unfeasible pursuant to RMC 13.05.060, the total water consumption from all businesses or dwelling units of a multi-business or dwelling structure served by one meter shall be billed on one statement to the owner or individual designated by the owner with the responsibility for the water/sewer billing. The billing shall take into consideration the number of units or businesses sharing such service and shall include a base charge for each unit or business in the bill. All consumption shall be charged at the appropriate water rate schedule established by RMC 13.05.380. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.410 Delinquency – Lien.

All water rates shall be charged against the premises for which the service was installed. Any and all charges provided for, when the same become delinquent and unpaid, shall constitute a lien against the premises to which the same has been furnished. Enforcement of a lien and collection of a lien shall include, but not be limited to, the right to stop service and deny service thereafter to any and all owners and/or occupants of the premises until the charges for service and/or other charges have been paid in full.

In cases where the occupant of the premises moves to another location within the system and applies for water at the new location, services may be denied at such location until and unless any statement for service against the first location is fully paid.

If any such charges are not paid, the city may record a lien at the office of the county auditor against the property for which the service was installed. Such lien shall include the delinquent charges and such customer shall be responsible for all costs incurred by the city including reasonable attorney’s fees for preparing the lien and the fee for recording the lien.

Failure to receive mail will not be recognized as a valid excuse for failure to pay charges due. Notice of change in ownership of property and change in mailing address must be given in writing by the property owner or his agent to the city. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.420 Water main extension request.

When a person desires to extend a city water main, that person must make a written request to the city and state on that request the location where the extension is desired, the purpose of the extension and give details and extent of any development he is considering, as well as any other factors as may be pertinent. The superintendent shall evaluate all requests for main extensions, taking into consideration the availability of water in the existing mains, reservoir capacity, pressures in the area and other local conditions. If the extension is considered feasible, the request shall be presented to the city council, along with recommended pipe diameters and other factors that may be relevant, for their consideration. The city council may approve or deny the request; table the request pending submittal of additional information; refer the request to the planning commission, a council committee or other entity for review and comment prior to considering the request; modify the extension proposal and/or make approval contingent upon other factors or conditions. In any event, approval by the city council shall be contingent upon meeting all city specifications and standards, payment of all applicable fees and charges, receiving approval from any other jurisdiction that may be required and complying with all regulations that may apply. If the water main extension request is approved by the city council, then the person requesting the water main extension shall coordinate arrangements to proceed with the installation of the water main extension with the superintendent. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.430 Water main extension design.

The proposed main extension shall be designed by a licensed engineer and be approved by the superintendent, city engineer, and other appropriate governmental authorities. The design shall be in conformance with the city standards as contained in the development guidelines and work standards of the city, and shall be designed by the use of a hydraulic analysis considering pipe size, restrictions, peal demand, length of run, elevation differences and other factors that may be pertinent. The person proposing such an extension shall pay their own costs plus the city of Roslyn’s costs including, but not limited to, all time spent on the projects by the superintendent and the city engineer. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.440 Water main extension installation.

The person requesting a main extension shall be responsible for all costs of installation including the connection fee as provided in city ordinance. The person requesting the main extension shall also be charged a fee to pay the costs of the inspection performed by city staff and/or city contracted engineering firm’s inspector. The amount of the fee for inspections shall be determined after assessing the entire project. The extension shall be installed in accordance with city standards included in the development guidelines and public works standards of the city and shall be inspected by the superintendent to ensure the installation meets city standards. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.450 Appeal.

Except by local, state or federal regulations, or by law, any water customer or person applying for water who questions, disputes or feels aggrieved by the determination or decision of the superintendent may submit an appeal in writing to the superintendent stating the reasons for the appeal and providing information supporting the basis of the appeal. The superintendent will then review the appeal to determine if there is justification for amending or reversing the determination or decision previously made. Within the authority designated in this chapter, he may uphold the previously made determination or decision, or may modify or reverse such determination or decision. The superintendent will decide upon such written appeals within 10 days.

Any such customer or person that is not satisfied with the decision of the superintendent may further appeal the decision by formally petitioning the city council at a regular city council meeting. The city council may uphold the previous decision, or may concur with the appeal, or may modify or amend the decision, or may make a decision contingent upon other factors or performance. The decision of the city council will be considered final. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.460 Rules and regulations – Adopted by reference.

Unless otherwise restricted or provided for herein or in the development guidelines and public works standards of the city, the rules and regulations of the Washington State Board of Health and the Standard Specifications for Municipal Public Works Construction, as published by the Washington State Department of Transportation and the Washington State Chapter of the American Public Works Association, shall be, and the same hereby are, adopted by reference. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.470 Severability clause.

If any section, subsection, subdivision, sentence, clause or phrase of this chapter is for any reasons held to be unconstitutional or void, such invalidity shall not thereby affect the validity of the remaining portions of this chapter. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.480 Violations and penalties.

Any person willfully violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person found guilty of such violation shall be fined a sum not to exceed $1,000. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.490 Enforcement.

It shall be the duty of the employees of the city of Roslyn and the police and fire departments to give vigil and aid to the superintendent in the enforcement of the provisions of this chapter and to this end they shall report all violations thereof which come to their knowledge to the attention of the superintendent. [Ord. 906 § 2, 2001.]

13.05.500 Utility location requests.

A nonrefundable fee, as established by resolution of the city council, shall be paid to the city clerk for each utility location request. [Ord. 994 § 2, 2006.]

13.05.510 Water leak bill adjustments.

A. Upon receipt of an application for a water bill adjustment due to water system leakage on private property, the city clerk (upon mayoral approval) shall adjust the water volume charge to the premises for water so lost up to 50 percent of the volume consumed in any one-month period in excess of the monthly average of water consumed over the previous 12 months at that service address, not including the month in which such leakage occurred.

B. Application for the adjustment must be made on a form approved by the city. The application shall include satisfactory evidence of the approximate date that the leakage occurred and evidence that repairs have been made to fix the leakage. No such adjustment shall be made for leakage occurring more than four months prior to the date of application.

C. No more than one application for a water leak bill adjustment may be considered by the city per service address in any 36-month period. [Ord. 1107 § 1, 2014.]