Chapter 15.15


15.15.010    Definitions.

15.15.020    Permit required.

15.15.030    Permit application – Bond.

15.15.040    Interfering structures.

15.15.050    Fees.

15.15.060    Supervision.

15.15.070    Route.

15.15.080    Trimming of trees.

15.15.090    Small buildings – Exemption.

15.15.100    Dilapidated buildings.

15.15.110    Additional rules and regulations.

15.15.120    Violation – Penalty.

15.15.010 Definitions.

The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

“Building” means a house, commercial building, industrial building or any structure of a size great enough so that the moving thereof over a road would cause hazard or inconvenience to any person.

“Building inspector” means the individual appointed by the town board and certified by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services under RMC 15.05.050.

“Interfering structure” means any wire, cable, pipe, tree, pole, curb, sidewalk, pavement or other structure or device located in or about a road which must be temporarily relocated or otherwise altered to facilitate the passage of a building.

“Over” shall include the terms “on,” “across” and “upon.”

“Permittee” means the person to whom a permit is issued pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.

“Road” means any public street, highway, road or alley within the corporate limits of the town.

“Trailer” means every vehicle, without motive power, designed for carrying property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle. The singular shall also include the plural.

“Vehicle” means every motor vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property. [Ord. dated 5/21/2013-2 § 9. Code 2002 § 10-121.]

15.15.020 Permit required.

No person shall move a building over any road within the corporate limits of the town without first obtaining a permit from the town chairperson. Permits issued under this chapter shall not be assignable or transferable and shall not be used by any person other than the permittee or his employee. [Code 2002 § 10-123.]

15.15.030 Permit application – Bond.

(a) Any person desiring to obtain a permit authorizing the moving of a building over a road within the town shall make application therefor to the town chairperson. The application shall furnish the following information:

(1) The name and address of the applicant.

(2) Location from which the building is to be moved.

(3) The destination to which the building is to be moved.

(4) The route proposed by the applicant over which the building is to be moved. Such route must be approved by the sheriff’s department.

(5) The dimensions of the building.

(6) Type of construction (frame, brick, etc.).

(7) Applicant’s signature.

(8) Proposed date of moving.

(b) The application shall be accompanied by a surety company bond, in the penal sum of $50,000 conditioned on the faithful performance of the applicant of all requirements of this chapter, to indemnify the town and to save it harmless against any and all claims, demands or causes of action whatsoever which might arise or accrue against it by reason of granting such permit or the exercise of any privilege thereby conferred, and to repay all damages which may be suffered by the town or any person by reason of exercise of the permit, including, by way of illustration, but not of limitation, injury to pavements, curbs, sidewalks, driveways, poles, wires or trees. [Code 2002 § 10-124.]

15.15.040 Interfering structures.

If it appears to the town chairperson that it may be necessary to cut, raise or replace any interfering structure in order to facilitate the movement of a building, the permit shall not be issued unless the applicant first files with the chairperson a receipt given to the applicant by the owner or other lawful custodian of the interfering structure for a deposit equal to the amount of actual expense involved in cutting, raising or replacing it. [Code 2002 § 10-125.]

15.15.050 Fees.

The fee for obtaining a permit to move a building over the town roads shall be $75.00 for each day or fraction thereof that the building rests on blocks or impedes traffic upon the town roads. The applicant shall deposit the sum of $500.00 with the town treasurer as an initial fee. Unused portions of this fee shall be refunded to the applicant pro rata. Fees in excess of the deposit shall be collected from the applicant in like manner. During any period that a building rests on blocks, or impedes traffic upon any town road, the unearned deposit shall be not less than $150.00, and if the deposit falls below that amount, the permit shall be revoked forthwith unless an additional deposit is made which shall bring the unearned deposit to $150.00. [Code 2002 § 10-126.]

15.15.060 Supervision.

The town chairperson or his duly appointed representative shall accompany any building being moved pursuant to the provisions of this chapter. [Ord. dated 5/21/2013-2 § 10. Code 2002 § 10-127.]

15.15.070 Route.

The permit issued under this chapter shall designate the route over which the applicant shall move any building to which this chapter applies. The route shall not be changed unless the permit is amended. A sheriff’s department permit is required. [Code 2002 § 10-128.]

15.15.080 Trimming of trees.

No tree shall be cut or trimmed by the permittee without the prior written consent of the owner or other lawful custodian of such tree. [Code 2002 § 10-129.]

15.15.090 Small buildings – Exemption.

Small buildings moved on motor trucks or trailers, such as garages, shall be exempt from RMC 15.15.050, relating to fees, if under eight feet wide, but from no other section or provision of this chapter. [Code 2002 § 10-130.]

15.15.100 Dilapidated buildings.

No dilapidated, substandard, dangerous or unsafe building may be moved over any town road. The determination shall be made after an inspection of the building by the town chairperson. Any portion of the deposit not exhausted by actual expense of the inspection shall be refunded to the applicant. [Code 2002 § 10-131.]

15.15.110 Additional rules and regulations.

The town board may make regulations governing the movement of buildings not inconsistent with this chapter. Such rules, among other things, may regulate or prohibit the moving of buildings too large for the proposed route. [Code 2002 § 10-132.]

15.15.120 Violation – Penalty.

Any person violating any provision of this chapter shall forfeit not less than $100.00 nor more than $500.00 for each offense; and a separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day during which the violation occurs or continues. [Code 2002 § 10-122.]