Chapter 13.28


13.28.010    Charge – Assessment.

13.28.020    Service connection – No main in street.

13.28.030    Special charge – Property not previously assessed or costs unpaid.

13.28.040    Specifications for standard water mains.

13.28.010 Charge – Assessment.

Each parcel of property to be served within the water service limits shall be assessed its proportionate share of the cost of construction of a standard main abutting or serving the property. Prior to approval of an application for water service, the city supervisor shall ascertain if the property in question has previously contributed or been assessed its proportionate share of the construction costs. Property abutting a standard main, but not previously assessed or not having previously contributed its proportionate share of construction costs for such standard main may be connected to such standard main upon payment of a special construction charge as described in OHMC 13.28.030. The special construction charge is in addition to any other charges levied by this title. (Ord. 403 § 22, 1975).

13.28.020 Service connection – No main in street.

(1) Whenever an applicant requests water service to premises that do not have a standard main adjacent to the premises, a standard main must be installed as a prerequisite to connection to the city water system. The standard main must conform with the comprehensive water system plan of the city water system and must be installed along the complete street frontage of the premises to be served.

(2) A standard main may be installed by any of the following methods:

(a) The main may be installed at the property owner’s expense by a contractor under the supervision and approval of the city supervisor. The city may contract with the owner to provide for the reimbursement of such owner and his assigns for return of construction expense for a period of up to 10 years. The city will agree to charge any person who subsequently taps on to the main for service a pro rata share of the cost of construction of the main and will reimburse the property owner. Assessments after the expiration of contract period shall revert directly to the city.

(b) If the premises lies within the corporate limits of the city of Oak Harbor, the owner may elect to have the main installed by making payment to the city of the main assessment as provided in OHMC 13.28.030(2); provided, however, that the availability of this option is contingent upon whether or not, in the opinion of a majority of the city council, sufficient money is available in the current water department budget to provide the necessary funds for the extension. Upon payment of the assessments designated in this section, the city will undertake to have the main installed. There will be no reimbursement to the original applicant for subsequent connection to the main.

(c) If the premises lies within the water service area of the city of Oak Harbor, the owner may also petition to have the main installed by the formation of a local improvement district as prescribed by state law and the ordinances of the city.

(d) If adequate money is available in the water department fund, the city shall pay the material cost difference in cases where the comprehensive water plan calls for a main size larger than eight inches. (Ord. 438 § 10, 1976; Ord. 403 § 23, 1975).

13.28.030 Special charge – Property not previously assessed or costs unpaid.

For owners of property not previously assessed or not having contributed their proportionate share of construction costs for the water main, a special construction charge will be paid as follows:

(1) If the property in question abuts a main covered by a “late-comer’s agreement” as provided for in OHMC 13.28.020(2)(a), the special construction charge will be as provided in said agreement.

(2) If a standard main does not exist across the frontage of the premises requesting a service connection, the superintendent may prepare an estimate of the cost to install the required standard main to serve said premises. Payment of this estimate will exempt the property for which such payment was made from a subsequent local improvement district assessment for the installation of a standard main.

(3) If the property in question is not covered by a “late-comer’s agreement” then the special connection charge will be computed as follows:

(a) The number of units of property frontage to be served by the water main, determined in the manner prescribed in RCW 35.44.030 and 35.44.040 for determining assessable units of frontage or by such other method or combination of methods of computing assessments which may be deemed to more fairly reflect the special benefits to the property being assessed as authorized by RCW 35.44.047, shall be multiplied by the local improvement assessment per unit of frontage or developer extension construction costs for the water main involved.

(b) If construction costs are not available for the specific water line for which the connection is being requested, the city engineer is authorized to compute and establish the average local improvement assessment cost paid by property owners or average costs for developer extensions for water mains completed and accepted by the city during that year, which average assessment or developer extension cost shall be used by him in computing the special connection charge imposed by OHMC 13.28.010. (Ord. 599 § 1, 1981; Ord. 403 § 24, 1975).

13.28.040 Specifications for standard water mains.

(1) Standard water mains shall not be less than six-inch diameter pipe. Pipes of smaller size may be used when the city supervisor determines that maximum fire rating could be maintained and the line in question cannot be extended.

(2) All pipe shall be designed to withstand a minimum internal water pressure of 150 pounds per square inch and shall conform to the latest adopted standards of the American Water Works Association. All design standards, quality standards and pipe sizes shall conform to the latest Fire Underwriters Standards and requirements.

(3) Water mains shall be asbestos cement, cast iron, ductile iron or approved equivalent material. (Ord. 403 § 25, 1975).